3 May 2013 - 1:30pm Updated | posted by | 19 comments

Robinsons to launch new TV ad during Britain's Got Talent

A new TV ad campaign from Robinsons will launch during ITV1's Britain's Got Talent over the bank holiday weekend.

The 'Pals' film, created by BBH and directed by Si & Ad at Academy Films, features two boys playing outside before pouring glasses of Robinsons juice when they return home. After one of the boys falls asleep, the other unties his shoes and carries him to bed, where it is revealed the friend is actually the boy's dad, finishing on the strapline 'It's good to be a dad. It's better to be a friend.'

The ad will run in 60 and 30 second formats.

Comments

4 May 2013 - 21:58
mayca12786's picture

Great ad! 2nd time round you'll notice the giveaways, enjoy!

4 May 2013 - 22:35
Cjone39509's picture

First time an ad brought a tear to my eye! Brilliant bit of writing.

4 May 2013 - 23:46
richa20560's picture

Nice ad if you reversed the strapline. Current ad epitomises everything thats wrong with current parenting practises, kids have plenty of friends in their life but only 1 mum & dad this trivialises the importance of stepping up & being the dad you can't always be their friend, to infer its better to be their friend devalues the vital role of a parent, sometimes you have to say no & sometimes they won't like you for it. Better to be a dad and raise a child capable of making friends, than being the only one who can bare to be their friend.

6 May 2013 - 19:56
sophiegriffiths357

It really didnt touch u? Are u a parent? In ANY loving relationship there must be friendship, have u never seen a father play with a son, make him laugh? Of course there are boundaries, but if u have a good relationship these will be tested rarely. I think its a wonderful advert. Myself and my son's step father shed a tear when we saw this. It shows that special bond between a father and son. What a shame you couldn't relate to it!

12 May 2013 - 21:17
smile78619's picture

@sophiegriffiths357 'step-dad' NOT his real dad. Why did he shed a tear? hmmm

8 May 2013 - 11:08
robinelliott3597

I absolutely love this advert .. Imagination is make believe .

8 May 2013 - 12:53
benfarrell's picture

Really surprised people seem to like this ad... I thought it was going to have a nasty turn and be some sort of NSPCC campaign... Find it very sinister!

10 May 2013 - 01:11
richa20560's picture

It's a shame that families don't stay together, it's a shame that twee straplines like this one are attached to by parents too insecure to realise the immense responsibility being a parent is, it's a shame that when some parents are looking at their little Daring thinking "oh he's just expressing himself" they don't realise everyone else is thinking the parent should get a grip. I have 3 children, 2 boys, I coach their sports team, I'm involved in their school, I play games they want to play, we play in the woods, I read books with them that they like to read, we camp, play in the park, go on bike rides, I engage in things that interest them and I try to help them become the people they were born to be and to be confident whilst compassionate, independent whilst community minded in their world without me. I have children who are happy, sociable & have no grounds for complaint, however, sometimes they feel hard done by, sometimes they scream & shout, sometimes I'm glad to not be with them, that is being a parent and I wouldn't have it devalued as a friendship as no friend I've ever known matters to me as much as my kids.

14 May 2013 - 21:00
Gaell18489's picture

@richa20560 I'm really sorry to say this because you sound quite emotional. However, I think your comments would be better served on a forum looking at family dynamics. I thought the advert was great, a nice twist at the end that made me smile.

10 May 2013 - 10:11
mlohanlon

Sounds more like richa is using this forum as a some kind of therapy session. This advert is an exceptionally executed idea that should (and does) remind all adults of being children and reminds all parents of their unique relationship with thier kids. This advert is a pleasure to watch both as the Father and as that boy with his pal.

10 May 2013 - 14:06
spark18870's picture

I have to say that this advert really made me realise how lucky I am (not that I needed an advert to tell me..).

Growing up, my parents were always there, supporting me when I needed them. Always strong and fair, teaching me the rights and wrongs in life.

They were the best friends (besides the friends who came and went with school and college) I could ever wish for in my younger years and they continue to be through my adulthood (although I am married now and my good lady has joined the ranks of my best friends who I can always turn too and who make my life a happy and fulfilling one).

We need more adverts like this, not just for food and drink, educating people as to what real values count. No more messages of hate, distrust and neglect.

11 May 2013 - 10:10
Lee8427080's picture

Richa you talk nonsense, you said you play in the park and the woods and go bike riding with your children. Is that not what is basically going on in this advert. You say sometimes you have to say no, what did the boy do to warrant being told no? Your children may scream and shout but maybe this one don't. Maybe before they went to the park the boy asked for a brand new computer and was told no, but it's a 60 second advert, unnessecery to include that wouldn't you say. Your just being negative kid

11 May 2013 - 13:11
richa20560's picture

As with all written words my overly wordy comments are open to misinterpretation, they were attempting to state the many layers to a parent/child relationship by comparison to that of a friendship and were worded to be balanced & non-offensive. Simply, my only objection to the ad was the line that it is better to be a friend than dad, to which I strongly disagree.

12 May 2013 - 21:21
smile78619's picture

It can be misinterpreted as a 'friend' is better than a dad.

14 May 2013 - 21:02
Gaell18489's picture

@smile78619 Maybe for the stupid? I think it looking at one of the many facets that make up being a rounded parent.

16 May 2013 - 00:46
angelamarie397948

My kid. Dad got murdered in June and this advert brought years to my eyes it's a lovely advert and will help my boys it sums up all out feelings and why I feel so sad that he is no longer here thanks for managing to do that

16 May 2013 - 12:59
angelamarie397948

Sorry I meant my kids dad got murdered in June and it brought tears to my eyes .it reminded me so much how he was with them and how much they have to miss

1 Jun 2013 - 14:07
matth15555's picture

i absolutely loved the ad. and yes i missed all the clues on the first view and noticed the watch and the star wars reference and it is now one of my favourite ads. did actually bring a bit of a tear. congrats to everyone involved in it

3 Jul 2013 - 10:54
david14920's picture

I thought this was going to be an ad for a chrity supporting the young carers who look after their brothers and sisters in this way every day. That would have been a great ad. I am afraid I can't agree with the strapline. That kid will have loads of friends but he will only have one Dad. It is far better to be a Dad than a friend.

Maximising an Industry Changing Story

24/11/2014
In November 2014, WOW air announced £99 fares (yes, that’s...

Glasgow University College of Arts Knowledge Exchange - communications strategy

20/11/2014
The College of Arts Knowledge Exchange is a leading-edge...

In The Snow Magazine Front Cover

20/11/2014
Front cover from a fashion shoot in Zermatt earlier this...

Cuckoo Design - HeadSpace

17/11/2014
If you want to work through your brand challenges and turn...

Welsh Blood - Precious Concept

17/11/2014
Description The Welsh Blood Service organises the...