13 February 2013 - 11:39am | posted by | 12 comments

Marketing Weak: B&Q's 'Handy Prices' ad gets the thumbs down

In a bid to stand out from other, busier ads B&Q use a hand as their only prop to explain what makes their prices special. The script demonstrates there are only so many ways to describe attention-grabbing savings before analogies wear thin ("flirty prices", anyone?) but Rob Brydon does his best to sound jaunty about it.

Perhaps B&Q's new advertising approach will pay dividends, but it's a thumbs down for now.

Agency: Karmarama

Don't miss out... Get your Advertising news by email

Comments

13 Feb 2013 - 14:47
rosiemilton's picture
comments

Why? Could you offer a more constructive critique? I don't think there's anything wrong with this - the narrative, perhaps - but the underlying message is: we supply hands [with tools etc.], which I think is rather nice.

13 Feb 2013 - 15:16
kmunro's picture
comments

I agree with Rosie here. Is this the opinion of the journalist only, have they seen any brand recall studies from those exposed?

14 Feb 2013 - 10:07
Ogilvy's picture
comments

You know full well it's the opinion of the writer. Do you know how long every article on here would have to be if everytime anyone criticised a piece of creative they had to justify it with a 30 page investigation into brand recall?

14 Feb 2013 - 10:10
kmunro's picture
comments

Correct I do know it's the opinion of the journalist. I'm not expecting a 30 page brand recall study either. What i am hoping for is a bit of insight into why it is deemed to be bad. It's bad because I say it's bad doesn't really cut it for me.@Ogilvy

14 Feb 2013 - 15:49
Ogilvy's picture
comments

Go read an effectiveness paper then. This article is about subjective opinion on the creative quality of ads. If that doesn't cut it for you, too bad.

15 Feb 2013 - 11:40
humdrum's picture
comments

@Ogilvy Well said

13 Feb 2013 - 16:14
scott@traffic's picture
comments

have seen a damn sight worse than this - this really doesnt bother me - unlike the shite from Saatchi&Saatchi for Head and Shoulders where the goal keeper rolls around the ground in agony until he gets his hair washed. Now that is shite of the highest order....

13 Feb 2013 - 16:46
@mcsorg's picture
comments

Agreed with comments above. It's a highly original ad. 'Staff Writer' - let's have a mea culpa!

14 Feb 2013 - 11:16
humdrum's picture
comments

Just because some people like this advert doesn't mean the writer is wrong. Personally I hate this advert, seems very childish. Repeats the word prices way too many times. It's like a terrible McDonald's advert. First time I saw it I thought it would make an appearance on Marketing Weak, glad to see it is here.

14 Feb 2013 - 16:51
mark_astle's picture
comments

It's quite nice. There are so many worse ads kicking about at the moment. I particularly hate anything where they make an abstract proposition into a cuddly toy character. Mother have a lot to answer for...

8 Mar 2013 - 14:03
carol36684's picture
comments

I thought this ad was wonderful. Light hearted and a change from lots of drab DIY ad's. My kids are mesmirised by it and we have all had a go at the quite difficult hand sequence. Nice hand also!

15 Mar 2013 - 15:45
antoi96567's picture
comments

they are only missing the frantic fist pumping. real shame as it would have suited them wonderfully

Write Your Comment

New to The Drum

You will be sent a verification email. Click on the link in the email to post your comment.

Directory Latest