A top 10 list of the most popular video ads of 2012 has been published by YouTube, as defined by those ads uploaded to the video sharing site at some point over the year and garnering the greatest volume of UK views.
The list is led by Honda’s ‘Spark’ commercial, closely folloed by motoring rivals Peugot with their Nonstop to Rudimental effort and a Durex spot.
Outlining the key factors which serve to constitute a successful ad YouTube singled out story, engagement, originality, promotion, brevity and interactivity.
Hamish Nicklin, head of creative agency partnerships for YouTube said, “2012 has been a fantastic year for online video advertising. Businesses are increasingly taking advantage of YouTube to build their brand, interact with their fans and spread their message.
Our TrueView ad formats, which enable viewers to skip an ad or choose which ad they want to see, have taken this trend to the next level. The power of choice and the opportunity for greater viewer engagement is driving more creative, entertaining video advertising than ever before.”
The Top 10 video ads are:
1. Honda Civic UK - Honda Civic 'Spark' HD TV ad
2. Peugeot - Nonstop to Rudimental ft. John Newman - Feel The Love
3. Durex - Durex Vinyl
4. O2 UK - O2 Pay & Go Go Go is here
5. Comparethemarket.com - Meerkat Polka Band Play Corrie Theme Tune
6. BT Infinity - Take a look around Flat 6
7. Google Chrome - Julie Deane
8. EE UK - Fenton 4GEE Remaster
9. GiffGaffTV - The CONtract feat. K-Orville
10. Turner Benelux - A DRAMATIC SURPRISE ON A QUIET SQUARE