16 November 2012 - 8:54pm | posted by | 26 comments

Industry in shock as Andy Carolan, Navigator founder and former Tangible chief dies after being struck by train

Industry in shock as Andy Carolan diesIndustry in shock as Andy Carolan dies

The marketing industry in Scotland and the rest of the UK was tonight shocked to hear of the sudden death of Andy Carolan, the former chairman of Tangible Communications.

Carolan, who is survived by his wife, Sherrie, and two young sons Mark and Connor, left Tangible last September to launch a business development consultancy.

Originally from Bishopbriggs, near Glasgow, Carolan had settled in Gullane outside Edinburgh and was was particularly well respected in the Scottish scene for his impressive record in running successful direct marketing businesses.

He started his career as a product manager at Alloa Brewery before joining Evans Hunt Scott where he became managing director.

From there he was approached by Jim Faulds of Faulds Advertising to launch and then run Navigator Responsive Advertising where he also had the title of MD.

The business was a success and Carolan eventually led an MBO out of Faulds. The agency later became one of Cello Group's first acquisitions with Carolan becoming Chairman of the expanded and rebranded Tangible group.

Said Gordon Young editor of The Drum: "This is a real tragedy. He was a great guy and I always enjoyed our meetings where we traded war stories of our times growing up in Bishopbriggs. My thoughts are with his wife and family."

Said Graeme Atha of the Marketing Society in Scotland, "This is a tremendous shock. I know he loved his golf and watching his kids grow up. He will be a real loss and my thoughts are with his family at this difficult time."

A spokesman for British Transport Police said: "Around 1.15pm on Friday, 16 November 2012 a man was struck and killed by a train at Longniddry station, East Lothian.

"Enquiries are ongoing to establish his identity and the circumstances surrounding his death. At this stage there would appear to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and a full report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal."

Tributes flood in as people remember Andy Carolan

Following the sad news many took to Twitter and Facebook to commemorate Andy Carolan.

Digital communications agency Dog Digital: “Dreadfully sad news. Andy was a personal friend to us and the business. Thoughts to his family, friends and Tangible colleagues".

Anthony Bibby, founder of Edinburgh-based creative consultancy FORTY-SIX: “RIP Andy Carolan. I owe so much to him. His friendship I'll always miss.”

Lee Jackson, former head of art at Navigator: “RIP Andy (Fatha) Carolan. A great boss and man - I owe him my career."

Andy Laing, former financial director Navigator: “Deeply saddened to hear the news about Andy Carolan - a mentor and role model for many years; and a bit of a hero to be honest.”

Julie Allan, former managing partner at Tangible: "Another career owed to Mr C. Can't sleep. V sad. x"

Chris Brennan: "Rip Andy Carolan boss, friend, inspiration....thoughts are with his family, thanks for all you taught me"

Howard Barber: "RIP Andy Carolan. Inspirational, dedicated, driven but most of all a gentleman and friend. Miss you"

Stewart Strachan: "Devastating news. My heart goes out to his family. Such a nice guy. And proud to have known him."

Julie Anderson: "That is shocking and very very sad. I remember him well."

Don Smith: "A man of real integrity. Seriously shocked and saddened."

Stuart Whibley: "Terrible shocking news, my thoughts are with his family."

Shayne Brodie: "Numb with shock - I've known him for nearly 30 years, a wonderful guy."

Gary Smith: "At the start of the week we were swapping emails, arranging to meet for a catch up. I can't believe it."

Josh Tetteh-Lartey: "Sad sad news"

adroit insight: "such sad news about Andy Carolan, he was a great inspiration. RIP"

Chris Hamilton: "Gutted to hear the news about Andy Carolan. A great guy who will be missed."

Jim Downie: "RIP Andy Carolan. Mates don't come any better."

Updated: Andy's funeral will take place at 10am on Thursday 29 November at St Matthew's Church, Bishopbriggs and then Maryhill Crematorium.

A book of memories of Andy is to be created and donated to his family - email rememberingandycarolan@gmail.com in order to contribute.

There is talk that a memorial service will also be held for Carolan in the New Year as well, The Drum has been informed.

Don't miss out... Get your Marketing news by email

Comments

16 Nov 2012 - 22:34
gareth_howells's picture

I can't believe it. My thoughts are with Sherrie & the boys. R.I.P mate.

16 Nov 2012 - 22:45
Ian Grier's picture

Andy - I loved our long catch up a few weeks ago. It was a first for me; getting chucked out of a tea room at closing time. Changed days for us - it used to be pubs we were both flung out of at closing time. God bless you. You were a magnificent man.

17 Nov 2012 - 00:17
heymr92134's picture

Very shocked and saddened to hear this sad news. Andy was a really great guy and boss. One of the best. My heart goes out to Sherrie and the boys.

17 Nov 2012 - 07:13
Andrew-Lindsay's picture

The only time I ever ate at the Ivŷ was when Jim Faulds and I met a young smart guy who was to become MD of the fledgling Navigator agency. Andy was one of the nicest people in the business whether as a colleague or competitor. We have now lost five wonderful people from the Faulds era, all too young and who should have had many good years to look forward to. God bless you Andy.

17 Nov 2012 - 10:21
stephen_lepitak's picture

I don't think anyone will remember Andy without absolute fondness. He was a lovely guy who would give anyone the time of day and I valued that. A truly sad day.

17 Nov 2012 - 10:28
murray_calder's picture

Sad, sad news. Andy was one of the good guys. RIP.

17 Nov 2012 - 10:59
ianmc80522's picture

Like all of us I'm at a loss for words. I worked with Andy when he set up Navigator with Jim Faulds. Such a nice man, a good man. My thoughts are with Sherrie and the boys and all Andy's family at this very dark time. God bless you, Andy.

17 Nov 2012 - 11:02
david_reid1's picture

i wasn't luck enough to have worked with Andy, but he had a terrific reputation and was one of the most down to earth and genuine blokes in our industry. Always upbeat and happy to stop and have a chat is how I'll remember him. Thoughts with Sherrie and the boys at this difficult time. RIP

17 Nov 2012 - 12:15
megapixel's picture

Very, very sad news, Andy was a young man who achieved a great deal in such a short space of time, my condolences to Sherrie and family. Dave Mullen

17 Nov 2012 - 12:52
famil20275's picture

Andy, a fantasic colleague and friend for so many years. Someone who gave 100% in all he did and was always a true gentleman. I will miss him so much. My thoughts go out to his family. Marie McShane

17 Nov 2012 - 13:54
DaveY's picture

It was with shock and extreme sadness when I heard the tragic news of Andy. He was a man of integrity and charm and I always valued his advice. We appointed Andy as chairman of our business and during his tenure he showed true leadership which is a rare quality and one that can be never be underestimated. A fine fellow who will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

17 Nov 2012 - 23:41
neil_fleming's picture

Terrible news. My thoughts are with Sherrie and the boys.

18 Nov 2012 - 10:00
Melan12469's picture

I was lucky enough to work with Andy for 15years and I have so many fond memories I don't know where to start. Andy created something special at Navigator, he was a fantastic leader and many people have gone on to do great things because of what they learnt working with him.  He had time for everyone and was just a thoroughly decent man and like so many I am devastated at his loss.  My love & support is with Sherrie & the boys. RIP Mr C x

18 Nov 2012 - 11:21
andyt48480's picture

Terribly saddened and shocked to hear this on Friday night. Both Elle and I were lucky to have had Andy as a boss at Navigator. Always had time for a chat, about the work you were doing that day or, more importantly, upcoming football fixtures. One of the really good guys of our industry. Thoughts are with Sherrie and family.ATx

18 Nov 2012 - 11:48
steph20797's picture

As many on here have said. One of the good guys. Clear thinking, tough when he wanted stuff done. A genuine kind spirit on the inside. His counsel was always worth taking. He'll be missed by many of us.

19 Nov 2012 - 09:19
JenTerris's picture

RIP Andy, what a tragic loss. Very sad, he was a great guy and will be sadly missed by everyone that had the pleasure of meeting him. My thoughts are with his family x

19 Nov 2012 - 10:56
billy40060's picture

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. He was undoubtedly one of the good guys.

19 Nov 2012 - 11:03
ginandbitterlemon's picture

Gave me my first ever job in the industry at Navigator and was always really encouraging. So sad and shocking. My love to Sherrie and his family. Sarah Robinson X

19 Nov 2012 - 13:43
Stewa31369's picture

Like many I was completely shocked when I heard the sad news about Andy, he was an extremely popular guy and he will be greatly missed by all at Gullane Golf Club and the community of Gullane. Stewart K Maxwell

19 Nov 2012 - 15:20
kayemackay's picture

RIP Andy Carolan. Lovely guy, and was a pleasure to work for. Always had a smile and shared a joke when he walked the floor. My thoughts are with Sherrie and their boys.

19 Nov 2012 - 17:10
scotbizforum's picture

I feel very shocked and saddened to hear the tragic news about Andy. He was a great supporter of the Business Forum Scotland and was always generous with his time and marketing advice to help us. He was a kind, charming and lovely man. I will remember him with fondness. My sincere condolences to his family. RIP Andy

19 Nov 2012 - 17:48
philjones33's picture

This has just come as a real shock to me, Andy was my boss for a short time when I started at Real Time Studio in 1991 and he was MD of Evans Hunt Scott. Definitely my sort of man, hard to believe something like this has happened to one of the really good guys in our industry. Sherrie also worked at EHS and must be devastated with this news. So So Sad.

19 Nov 2012 - 23:26
keith14062's picture

I'm reeling, what terribly sad news. I worked with Andy at EHS, he was a top top lad. In fact he was such a nice bloke even when he made me redundant I still loved him. Andy, we're going to miss you so much mate. Our thoughts go out to Sherrie and the kids.

20 Nov 2012 - 21:39
evelyn.noble's picture

Such sad news. I worked with Andy for eight years. He was approachable, kind, respected, charming and genuinely one of the good 'uns. RIP Mr C. I for one will miss you x

21 Nov 2012 - 23:20
Marty K's picture

One of the most decent guys I have ever met. Treated everyone the same & was always there to help. A truly great addition to the village of Gullane. Was loved by all. I ll miss you big man.

Martin F. Kellagher

30 Nov 2012 - 16:04
flin013116's picture

I knew Andy since college at Glasgow School of Art.Andy was always ready for a bit of fun then!yObviously our paths went in different directions but Andy was always at the end of the phone,or came to visit me in the states or Dublin on business.He married Sherrie and had his 2 boys and was in good place.RIP Andy-can't believe I won't have another beer with you.

Gordon Hyslop

New Forest National Park - Young David Attenborough discovers the Tech Creche

21/08/2014
Research conducted by the New Forest National Park...

Case Study | Building Blocks

20/08/2014
Building Blocks's Operations Director and Co-Founder, tell...

Social Media Training

18/08/2014
We love to share what we know and what we've learned about...