9 November 2012 - 9:28am | posted by | 15 comments

John Lewis unveils Christmas advert for 2012

The John Lewis Christmas ad for 2012 has now been unveiled.

As revealed yesterday, the ad - created by adamandeveddb and entitled 'The Journey' - features a snowman and a snowwoman.

John Lewis said: "When the snowman has mysteriously disappeared the next morning, the audience is transported to a magical world, following the determined snowman on an epic journey across river, mountain, road and city. The motive for the snowman's journey isn't revealed until the last scene, when we see him return on Christmas morning."

Let us know in the comments what you think of the ad. How does it compare to last year's ad by John Lewis?

Comments

9 Nov 2012 - 09:51
gareth_howells's picture

Dougal has done it again. Great idea. Well directed.

Well done client.

9 Nov 2012 - 10:03
Ogilvy's picture

All good things must come to end I suppose. This is a cheesy let down.

9 Nov 2012 - 12:21
georgeshepherd's picture

Aw c'mon Og. you old cynic - it's very sweet and beautifully done - although am I the only one thinking Weeping Angels....

9 Nov 2012 - 13:58
Pads and Pens's picture

Sorry. Don't like it at all either. Schmaltz.

Humbug.

9 Nov 2012 - 14:47
phil_evans's picture

The 'I don't like it' brigade make me laugh. It's a strong idea. It's beautifully executed. Some people won't warm to the static snowman and maybe there was room for a couple more comic touches along the way. But we're nitpicking really. What's not to like? It's Christmassy (but different). It's epic. And it's lovely.

9 Nov 2012 - 14:52
Pads and Pens's picture

It's directed well, i will give it that. But it's soooo contrived that it actually makes me angry. Almost turned me into a Jehovas Witness. I guess we have to compare it to what has gone before - and it doesn't live up to the John Lewis ads of yesteryear.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:08
phil_evans's picture

Disagree Pads and Pens. Last year's was way more contrived. The idea that a kid would wish the days away so that he could give a present to mum and dad was suspect. But its execution won most people over. Of course, it's the same insight this year but, for me, using a snowman is more entertaining. Like I say, a few more comic touches would've been good but it's still an impressive piece of work.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:18
gareth_howells's picture

Its easy. Just look at that tripe that M&S have done with thier music mash. Expensive pish with a snow machine.

John Lewis & Adam & Eve have had an idea. They have got behind said idea. This should be celebrated.

It's hard to get anything decent out .

There are a lot of turkeys at Xmas. this ad is not one of them.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:20
gareth_howells's picture

Sorry. My Spelling is shit.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:22
phil_evans's picture

Well said Howells. And, yes, your spelling is shit.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:35
craig wood's picture

Perfect use of the medium in that it tells a story. Like it or loathe it (and I like it), I defy anyone not to have to watch this to the end the first time they see it. Or to fail to remember who it's for.

9 Nov 2012 - 15:48
gareth_howells's picture

Thanks Phal!

12 Nov 2012 - 17:09
Spottswoode's picture

Nice ad but criminally mawkish version of The Power Of Love. Frankie Says No. Last year's was better.

12 Nov 2012 - 17:50
Road-runner's picture

I like it, but then I'm biased cos I work for A&EDDB, strikes the right cord at the right time of year and has stand out in a crowded Christmas TV market. Good shout Guys and Gals of Bishops Bridge Road!

16 Nov 2012 - 12:25
TimboRiches's picture

Watch it without the sound. It makes more sense and becomes less contrived. I appreciated the visual and message more without the music. Maybe ambient noises alone would have made it more compelling.

Glasgow University College of Arts Knowledge Exchange - communications strategy

20/11/2014
The College of Arts Knowledge Exchange is a leading-edge...

In The Snow Magazine Front Cover

20/11/2014
Front cover from a fashion shoot in Zermatt earlier this...

Cuckoo Design - HeadSpace

17/11/2014
If you want to work through your brand challenges and turn...

Welsh Blood - Precious Concept

17/11/2014
Description The Welsh Blood Service organises the...

Pentland / Ted Baker – AW14 footwear photography

14/11/2014
Pentland is behind some of the world’s best-known sports,...