10 October 2012 - 5:20pm | posted by | 6 comments

The best examples of hilarious customer service on Twitter: O2, Sainsbury’s, East Coast Trains

Yesterday, O2 sent some of the best customer service tweets I’ve seen for a while, replying back in slang to a complaint.

This isn’t the first time that O2 has outdone itself on social media: when the O2 network went down one customer suggested that the brand have intercourse with their mothers…to which O2 replied ‘she says no thanks’.

Here we take a look at some other fantastic customer service moments on social media.

Creative Review:

O2

O2

In this most recent example, O2 decided to speak the language of the user...and receiving over 810 retweets for its efforts.

How the conversation develops just adds to the fun.

Sainsbury's

Sainsbury's

When October Jones complained that his chicken sandwich from the supermarket "tastes like it was beaten to death by Hulk Hogan", Sainsbury's was quick to apologise...

Later, another Sainsbury's corporate account replied to the tweet with a phone number for Jones to call, saying it was sorry he " had to wrestle your way through the sandwich."

Nice. Although sorry Hulk Hogan lost his sandwich squishing job.

East Coast Trains

East Coast Trains

You know the feeling...your train gets delayed because there is a massive downpour of rain.

You decide to blame the rail company in an angry tweet.

Erm...maybe don't try it with East Coast trains.

Smart Car

Smart Car

Smart Car used stats to prove one tweeter wrong, leading to hundreds of tweets and good publicity for the brand.

It also taught us all something important. Stay away from emus. Especially if they are in groups of 45,000.

O2 (again)

O2 (again)

As mentioned above, this comes from when O2 was suffering from network failure.

This was just one example of abuse that O2 responded wittily to during the downtime shenanigans...and when praised for the handling of the tweets, theO2 Twitter handler replied 'I need a hug.'

Comments

11 Oct 2012 - 15:50
emlog13034's picture

Brilliant! Absolutely bloody brilliant. Not sure my COO will let us handle customer services in this way though. Dagnamit.

12 Oct 2012 - 15:02
jasonstone's picture

Worth looking at @Betfairpoker too... a very interesting approach to corporate communication.

But is it only a question of time before an edgy comment backfires?

12 Oct 2012 - 21:49
Navar15775's picture

My own favs and thoughts on this here...O2 tweets today.

7 Nov 2013 - 02:45
tende75144's picture

East Coast Trains was the best!! ..some customer complaints are simply that - someone having a bad day with an urge to take it out on anyone in line of fire.. ..those are sometimes the hardest to diffuse..

16 May 2014 - 10:20
custo18018's picture

Nice article we wrote a very similar one on our site about the best customer complaints ever featuring British Airways, Odeon, Tescos, Virgin Media and United Airlines. Read it here: http://www.customerserviceguru.co.uk/articles/age-social-media-wars-best...

17 Jun 2014 - 23:47
Guyrm86229's picture

I recently can home to the uk I had two unlocked iPhones and wanted data more than phone. I went to the kidderminster o2 store and they gave me a fair rate 1 gig for £15 and plenty of calls and texts. We were I going to be in Devon and again I reminded them I needed data coverage. This is where their deceptive practices came to the for. They showed me a 2G coverage map and said you will be fine no problems. On arriving at our destination in Devon I turn on cell and have little or no phone and absolutely no data. I went into the Barnstable store in Devon and they tell me we only really have 2g coverage in Devon. That brings up the question why are they putting stores and selling phones in an area where there is no coverage? They suggested I phone customer service on a landline . When I said I don't have one that's why I bought O2 it appeared to be a point of confusion. Maybe all O2 customers should be switching back to landlines because of the poor coverage? They allowed me to phone customer service I repeated the above story reaffirming it was the data I wanted and need. The representatives answer was she would take the data off and credit my sim for £15 . I explained I would only probably make 20 calls and even fewer texts in the 6 weeks I am in England and I again needed data. Her answer to this was "what do you want to do?" No help ... This whole experience of the baiting and switching coverage and buyer beware has left a bad taste in my mouth with o2 I would never recommend anyone in the Southwest of England to use their service. I looked this morning on T mobile and they appear to have much better 3G or 4 G coverage I will be switching at the end of month of having no phone coverage thanks to the crooks at O2