Comedian Freddie Starr has lost his bid to gag the press from connecting him with allegations made against Sir Jimmy Savile.
Yesterday, a temporary gagging order invoked by the High Court on Tuesday was dropped after it was challenged by media organisations, led by ITV News.
Mr Justice Tugendhat agreed that the ban should be lifted, stating that he did not believe that it concerned private information.
According to The Telegraph, he said; “I am informed that the allegation has not in fact been published by any of these defendants.
“The upshot is that, as it seems to me, there wasn't any evidence of intention by any of these defendants to commit an unlawful act and in so far as I am told by counsel for the defendants they represent, they would in any event only intend to publish an allegation which they considered they were in a position to defend, whether by justification or any other defence.”
Starr has denied the allegations, telling the Daily Mail; “I was sick to the stomach when I heard that. It is disgusting and it never happened.”
Police are investigating the allegations against Savile.