Apple wants more money out of Samsung. The US giant has asked the judge in its U.S. patent case to increase the $1 billion damages awarded by a jury against the Korean company last month by $707 million,
Meantime , Samsung has asked the judge to reduce the award greatly - down to a mere $34 million - and order a new trial.
Attorneys for the two companies made the requests in motions filed late on Friday at the court in in San Jose. December 6 is the date set for a final ruling in the case
In its motion, Apple also asked the judge to permanently ban the sale of 26 Samsung smartphones and tablet computers in the US — mostly older devices no longer available anyway.
Judge Lucy Koh has the power to triple the jury's damages award under certain laws and conditions.
Apple's plea focused mostly on Galaxy S smartphones Samsung introduced in 2010 that looked and worked like its iPhone. The technical infringement in those products, said Apple, was a deliberate act by Samsung to gain market share.
"The initial success gained through the sale of these six cloned products was the springboard for the second-generation Galaxy S II line of products as well as numerous other infringing smartphones," Apple said in its filing.
Samsung also said a new trial was necessary because of limits placed by Judge Kohn on time, witnesses and exhibits in the original trail. She gave each side 25 hours to present its case. Samsung's Friday plea also made a case for cutting the damages award back to $34 million.