30 January 2012 - 7:57am | posted by | 6 comments

Ultimo founder Michelle Mone turns to Twitter to defend quit claims should Scotland go independent of UKUltimo founder Michelle Mone turns to Twitter to defend quit claims

Ultimo founder Michelle Mone turned to Twitter to defend herself following an outcry against her comments made in an interview that she planned on quitting Scotland show it become independent of the UK.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Mone repeated her stance made clear two year ago in another newspaper interview, when she said: ““I will move my business and I will move personally. I don’t think we can survive on our own, and I think it would be really bad for business.

“Everything would go up and I really don’t think we need it at the moment,” she added.

Mone then turned to Twitter to clarify her comments when she began to feel the extent of the backlash that the interview had generated.

“It's not a ‘new’ threat when I commented in today’s Sunday Times that I'd move my family & business; if Scotland becomes independent. I said it 2 years ago. Lots of angry SNP people out there watching too much Braveheart. Wake up & look at the statistics. I love Scotland so much but we wouldn't survive. Would love to see these SNP muppets run a business. Put ur energy into creating jobs instead of making this financial crisis so much worse. Rude comments & ur blocked so don't waste ur time.” (sic) She tweeted, before following it up with another clarification when one follower claimed that she had called him a ‘muppet’.

“I called SNP MSPs muppets! I take it ur a SNP MSP?If you are then yes ur a muppet! Go & run a business 1st before you try running our country!” (sic)

Taking exception to another tweet that claimed she was being unloyal to Scotland, Mone added: “Oh I'm not loyal? Growing a business here, creating jobs, high tax payer, passionate about Scotland, raising money daily for charity's. Tell me about you?” (sic)

SNP leader Alex Salmond was questioned about Mone’s comments on The Andrew Marr Show yesterday morning (Sunday), stating: “Michelle’s concerns seem to be predicated on the idea that we’d put tax up. In fact, our strategy is to lower business tax, which I think will be very helpful, not just at persuading Michelle Mone to stay, but attracting lots of other businesses to Scotland.”

Don't miss out... Get your Digital news by email

Comments

30 Jan 2012 - 10:51
brian21117's picture
comments

She seems to have a great deal of respect for her employees in Scotland by threatening to make them unemployed!

30 Jan 2012 - 11:51
paul1976's picture
comments

Until Salmond clearly outlines his plans - what currency we would have, would we be part of the EU, would we have to pay towards the EU as all other member states do, how much, if the oil is owned by companies based in Aberdeen what's to stop the companies relocating to London and retaining the oil fields - just general questions which makes voting easier. Business leaders have every right to choose if they want to do business in Scotland or not; if the business strategy is to lower tax, it's probably worth outlining how that will be affordable and where the extra money to make the cuts would come from. I'm taking a Pontius Pilate view to this at present

30 Jan 2012 - 12:04
bachl11106's picture
comments

She sounds like a 14-year-old. Very unprofessional.

30 Jan 2012 - 12:49
brian21117's picture
comments

Paul, Salmond has outlined that we will remain within Sterling. Sterling is a fully tradable currency and Westminster does not control the BoE's interest rate setting powers, not since May 1997, when Gordon Brown made the BoE independent.

With regards to the Oil, the revenue from the oil comes in the form of Taxation. The Taxation from Scottish geographical resources would be payable to Holyrood, not Westminster (regardless of where the oil companies are based).

The EU would not block Scotland's entry due to our massively beneficial resources (both oil and renewables). It's most likely that Scotland's obligations to the EU would be negotiated and would cost no more per capita than they do now... but the oil is a very useful Ace to have in these negotiations.

Hope this helps.

30 Jan 2012 - 17:41
ccstu25303's picture
comments

when she starts making bras to fit women who happen to be over size 38 i'll give a damn

31 Jan 2012 - 12:43
coolr19705's picture
comments

"I don't think we could survive on our own"... Jesus Christ, how embarrassing for her. I thought the debate on independence had long moved on from that level. And she calls others muppets..

Write Your Comment

New to The Drum

You will be sent a verification email. Click on the link in the email to post your comment.

Directory Latest