14 December 2011 - 3:00pm | posted by | 0 comments

Marketers and media agencies 'change Christmas strategies' amid High Street concerns

Christmas on the High StreetChristmas on the High Street

More than 60% of marketers and media agencies have readjusted the Christmas sales plans they set out at the beginning of the year because of fears of a poor festive sales period.

That is according to qualitative research from 20 media agency planner/buyers and marketers carried out by O2 Media.

It analysed marketing campaigns in the run up to Christmas and found that following growing concerns of a weak Christmas (40% are nervous about the current economic climate) 63% of respondents have re-planned the festive campaigns they initially created in Q1.

As part of this readjustment, 71% have included mobile in their marketing mix and 65% have increased their investment in mobile.

Just over half (52%) said they had increased their spend in search, 50% in online, 22% in radio, 15% in TV and only 10% had increased their spend in outdoor.

Some 63% said they had no contingency budget for Q4 and of the remaining 37%, 31% of those have less than £100,000 leaving many marketers few options if their campaigns are failing to hit their targets.

Gary Cole, the commercial director at O2 Media, said: “What we are seeing is marketers having to react quickly to difficult economic conditions at critical buying times with little move for manoeuvre in terms of additional budget spend."

Don't miss out... Get your Marketing news by email

Be the first to comment on this article: sign in or register.

Latest Projects from the Profile Hub

Agency51 Design & Development - Women Make Waves

22/07/2014
Challenge. Women Make Waves is a new online blog network...

Swoon Editions

22/07/2014
The Client Swoon Editions is an online furniture brand that...

Asda Store Proposition Intranet

17/07/2014
The Client Asda is Britain’s second largest supermarket...

Timberland Apparel merchandising

15/07/2014
Six large installations in Milan for footwear and apparel....

Hudson Fuggle: Case study

15/07/2014
We spoke to Sue Higgins Finance Director at creative agency...