With Vauxhall being the latest to pull adverts from this weekend’s News of the World, we look at what brands have pulled out from News of the World advertising so far.
Morrisons is the only company which has said it will stay with News of the World. According to Political Scrapbook, the company said: “Our position is very clear, we’re continuing to advertise in the News of the World.”
Updated: Morrisons has contacted The Drum to clarify that it now plans to pull its advertising from this weekend's edition of the News of the World and that it has yet to make a long-term decision as to whether it will advertise again in the future within the title.
This list is correct at time of posting.
Vauxhall: "Vauxhall has suspended advertising in the News of the World. It will reconsider its position pending the outcome of investigations into the allegations of phone hacking."
Renault: no advertising planned
Ford: "Pending this response we will be using alternative media within and outside News International Group instead of placing Ford advertising in the News of the World."
Cadbury’s: no advertising planned
NatWest: “won’t be advertising in next issue”
Coca-Cola: no advertisements currently running
The Body Shop: does not place print adverts with News of the World
Mumsnet: has cancelled a contract with News of the World
Debenhams: no plans to advertise
Lloyds banking group/Halifax: "In recognising and responding to consumer reaction, Halifax has cancelled an advertisement in this Sunday's News of the World. This was a tactical decision in the short-term whilst we carefully consider our longer-term position and its implications."
Virgin Holidays: pulled out of classified adverts planned for this weekend
Mitsubishi: pulling adverts due to ‘unspeakable’ allegations
TalkTalk: no advertising planned
Co-operative: suspending advertising until outcome known
Marks and Spencers: no advertising planned
Aldi: Hasn’t advertised in UK edition for year, reviewing plans with Irish edition
Many other advertisers have said they are considering their options, or waiting until an outcome is reached before making a decision.
“This week's news changes the parameters of the story. Phone hacking has spread beyond celeb gossip and into real lives. Moreover, the story has shocked the public because of the intrusion into the lives of real people who are already suffering. New revelations are published every day at the moment, with the story developing at an incredible pace," said Jenny Biggam, a founding partner of independent media planning and buying business the7stars.
“Advertisers are now pulling out in numbers. Even those who haven’t yet done so are discussing it. And we’re starting to see pressure on outlets too – look at Twitter for evidence of consumer pressure to for W H Smith and similar to boycott the NOTW.
“The question is, what long term damage has been done to Britain's best-selling paper? It’s not inconceivable that this could impact the paper’s success.
“The Sun has already learned its lesson after Hillsborough. Even a generation later, The Sun's cover sales underperform dramatically in Liverpool as the community votes with its wallet.
“Will the British public nationwide react in the same way and stop buying the paper altogether? This depends on how the story develops – and if it emerges that the phone hacking practice happened in other papers. It’s also just possible that the NOTW, currently UK public enemy number one, becomes a scapegoat for the entire tabloid industry – and so the whole sector may also suffer.”