22 September 2009 - 3:59pm | posted by | 24 comments

Irn-Bru Ad from The Leith Agency features Can Clan record

A look at the new Irn-Bru TV advert by The Leith Agency which centres around the recent record breaking Can Can event which took place at Glasgow Green last week.

The two and a half minute advert features the crowd of 10,000 people who participated in the event by dancing the Can Can.

The event and advert has been created by The Leith Agency to help support Scotland’s Year of Homecoming and will only be broadcast three times on STV.

The IRN-BRU Can Clan also featured bands Pearl and the Puppets along with The Zutons.

Martin Steele of Barr Soft Drinks who led the Can Clan project, said “ The Irn-Bru Can Clan on Glasgow Green was a huge success. Not only did 10,000 people attend but we broke the World Record for the Can Can in some style. The whole event was a very Irn-Bru way of contributing to the Homecoming year”

Production was handled by STV, the director was Stuart Elliot and the creative team behind the Irn-Bru Can Clan were Leith’s Mark Davies and Michael Kinlan.

Comments

23 Sep 2009 - 12:05
don_smith's picture

Original, unexpected, unadvertisingy. Up there with the T-mobile campaign as a 360 degree brand engagement exercise. Well done to Gerry, Mark and Michael. Best Irn-Bru marketing in ages. And it really is me posting this.

23 Sep 2009 - 12:14
will_atkinson's picture

Actually for me it tops T-mobile because it doesn't pretend to be spontaneous or set up. None of that oooh lets take a snap on our T-mobile phones malarky. It's a lot more honest and better for it.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 13:29
Anonymous's picture

Don, no-matter how orange-nosed you are, the key to the factory gates shall never be thine again, allegedly.

On a separate note, the old guy being picked up by the parademics - is he o.k.?

Oh yes and by the way, very good. Do I get the account?

23 Sep 2009 - 15:17
gareth_howells's picture

Don's after Digi-Bru. Watch ooot.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 15:54
Anonymous's picture

Did they really feature the final hours of an old man because they thought it was funny? That leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth, mind you, so does the drink.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 16:00
Anonymous's picture

Oh, Donald. People are not sick of advertising, they are sick of bad advertising. And this is about as original as a 40 year old bald guy buying a sports car.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 16:24
Anonymous's picture

Mr Howells, I hear you've been doing a bit of digital Bru-Bashing yourself of late. Allegedly.

Ker-ching.

23 Sep 2009 - 16:53
don_smith's picture

You Anonymous folk are irrelevant. No one actually reads your comments. They scan for names, then read the comments. You are nothing, nobody's, pointless. You don't count. You never will.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 16:58
Anonymous's picture

I'm over here, look over here...aha you looked

23 Sep 2009 - 18:19
ed_brooke's picture

i suspect it's more than that Don.

Anonymous is useful to these individuals because it cloaks the fact they work for piss poor organisations churning out creative gruel that will never merit a flicker of interest.

Anonymous (not verified)
23 Sep 2009 - 18:58
Anonymous's picture

Another classic Don-ism. Responding to an anonymous even though he says people don't read them. I love it when he comes on here.

23 Sep 2009 - 21:22
giles_moffatt's picture

Ed

Congratulations on some of the best copywriting I have seen this year. 'Creative gruel' in particular.

Good to see the i-Don back in action too.

Anonymous (not verified)
24 Sep 2009 - 10:31
Anonymous's picture

Not necessarily. I'm Sir John Hegarty. And I'm having a marvellous time with my cloak of anonymity.

24 Sep 2009 - 11:27
angus_walker's picture

I didn't know you had the final say about allowing anonymous comments, Guy.

On the Irn Bru ad I was glued to the telly when it came on. In fact I stood in the doorway on my way to the kitchen until it was finished.

It's been a long time since an ad made me notice it like that. Nice direction too.

Can't say better than that. Good on ya fellas.

But please, now, everyone, no more ads with loads of people all doing stuff together.

"Let's build a giant papier mache horse in the park to the strains of a kooky acoustic pop band, to demonstrate that ideas are important and teamwork is essential then cut to the packshot of the phone/shampoo/nappy/insurance company"

Social media is captivating as social media but can be kind of boring on the telly.

Anonymous (not verified)
24 Sep 2009 - 11:33
Anonymous's picture

So, to conclude: you were glued to your telly, Angus. But this sort of thing has become boring.

Anonymous (not verified)
24 Sep 2009 - 12:25
Anonymous's picture

I am getting fairly bloody tired of Guy saying nothing on here except have a pop at anonymous posts. Guy would earn my respect by commenting on the work, passing his critical eye over it and actually having an opinion every once in a while.

Of course what I'm saying now doesn't actually matter as no one is reading it.

He's not the only culprit, somehow it's bigger and cleverer for some of our "leading" industry personalities to comment on others' comments rather than saying what they actually feel.

Perhaps the reason some of use choose to hide behind anonymity is to allow us to be true to our view without the fear of comeback from the old boys' network.

24 Sep 2009 - 16:16
david_buchanan's picture

OK am I missing something? What's the difference between this and the T-Mobile Trafalgar Square singalong?

24 Sep 2009 - 17:36
don_smith's picture

To comment here anonymously you have to register your email address. The IT guys at the drum could trace each comment to its real owner. Let's hope that list appears on wikileaks very soon. Then we could purge ourselves of the worthless parasites. You don't need to defend yourself Guy. But well said anyway. David, read Will's post.

24 Sep 2009 - 18:12
david_isaac's picture

10,000 smiles on Glasgow Green says this works for me - actually make that 9,999 as some poor bloke apparently looks like he was in a bit of trouble.

Agree with Angus and Will's comments. (Oops probably get in trouble for that.)

I still really don't like the endline 'Phenomenal', not sure it adds anything.

24 Sep 2009 - 18:43
david_buchanan's picture

Don, I did read Will's post and I still don't see the difference. I never, ever thought that TalkTalk's campaign was spontaneous (unlike the dance ads which do try to suggest this).

The T-mobile singalong campaign: Get a large crowd together to take part in a promotional event, film it and call it an ad.

The Irn-Bru can can campaign: Get a crowd together to take part in a promotional event, film it and call it an ad.

I'll take 13:29's word for it that the day was brilliant. I wasn't there and as he says this film doesn't do it justice (a failing in TalkTalk's campaign too in my opinion - great for all involved, largely irrelevant for those of us who weren't). I suggest that this was a great event that should have been left as just that.

Anonymous (not verified)
25 Sep 2009 - 22:52
Anonymous's picture

@GuyRobertson Is this the one you mean?

Guy Robertson Fri 22 May 2009 11:41 The sooner you stop anonymous comments the better. It encourages cowards and charlatans to post pointless and often malicious comments without fear of identification. If you've got something to say, say it and be proud to stand up for what you believe.

Otherwise shut up!!

As it happens I think the campaign is perfectly suited for the target audience........which if you stop and think.....is all that matters.

Guy

27 Sep 2009 - 17:20
mark_gorman's picture

Sigh. I too have been an anon basher. But have tired of that. What I will say is congratulations to both client and agency for having the sheer balls to film a live commercial IN GLASGOW in September when the odds of it not utterly pishing down were pretty high.

Their bravery was rewarded with a sky that looked like the whole thing had been shot on blue screen. And how often do we get full frontal (albeit pixelated) male nudity in advertising?

The Victoria Cross is in the post.

Oh, and all you anonymous stv production bashers (see the recent SemiChem story) did you like STV's contribution on this one? Looks like it from where I'm sitting.

Bugger, gone and done it again. Anon bashing. Sorry.

28 Sep 2009 - 10:56
gerry_farrell's picture
28 Sep 2009 - 11:06
gerry_farrell's picture

Launch + Sponsorship + Rooster = Social Media Success!

26/11/2014
September 2014 saw Garuda Indonesia launch their new London...

University of Aberdeen - Graduate Business School brochure

25/11/2014
Background:  999 Design has enjoyed a long working...

We delivered a 265% increase in ROI year-on-year for Pandora UK.

25/11/2014
Pandora designs, manufactures and markets, hand-finished,...

In The Snow Magazine Front Cover

20/11/2014
Front cover from a fashion shoot in Zermatt earlier this...