BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 270 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
The Junior Front-End Developer will help to maintain an expanding number of BioMed Central websites to a high standard during a period of technological change. The position will give a fantastic introduction to IT systems for someone willing to jump in, learn and expand their skill set. This is an opportunity to make a contribution to a fast-growing company in an industry where technology is an essential element of current and future success.
The role involves:
* Assisting with the update of ca. 300 journal and portal websites using material provided by publishing and commercial departments
* In particular, maintaining slideshows
* Depending on skills, contributing to custom web pages
* Proven HTML5 and CSS3 skills
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
* High attention to detail, accuracy with code and editorial changes
* Strong methodical approach with the ability to follow documents processes
* Experience with PHP or WordPress
* An understanding of source control, e.g. svn or git
* An interest in emerging web technologies
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (BMC/WD) to: HR, Floor 6, 236 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8HB, or by email to:
BioMed Central Limited is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.
BioMed Central offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, Give As You Earn Scheme, Volunteering scheme and an employee support programme.