Freight is a leading, multi-award-winning design and marketing communications consultancy based in central Glasgow. We are seeking a proactive and motivated business development manager to lead company growth. Candidates should have either a minimum of two years agency experience or two years in a client-side marketing role and a demonstrable track record of achievement in self-initiated activity. Salary (with benefits) dependent on experience.
The role of the Business Development Manager is to plan, manage and implement the company’s business development activity and support the marketing consultancy on offer, with the following objectives:
• Manage the company’s ongoing business development activity
• Manage the response to all unsolicited enquiries
• Manage the PQQ / Tender and Pitch processes
• Provide ongoing marketing consultancy to clients (optional)
• Provide a small amount of ad hoc project management
• Deputise for the directors during absences / holidays
1. With the directors, plan and develop the business development strategy
2. Make contact with potential clients via email / letter writing, phone calls, networking and other types of indirect and direct business development activity
3. Maintain detailed records of all business development activity using paper-based and/or database driven records
4. Write and edit detailed reports as part of the pitch / tender process.
5. Undertake presentations of the company’s portfolio or commissioned creative work independently or with the directors.
6. Maintain appropriate ongoing communication with clients and potential clients.
7. Appraise the business media on an ongoing basis for marketing and business development intelligence.
8. Built and maintain a library of prospect and competitor literature.
9. Manage the production and distribution of credentials documents and all other direct mail activity.
10. Assist in development of the company website.
11. Build and maintain relationships with third party consultants capable of sharing or referring work.
12. Provide marketing consultancy as part of the pitch process or on specific commissioned client projects – across the areas of communications planning and strategy, brand development, market research, campaign management, sales promotion and other relevant areas.
13. Undertake some project management of ongoing client work.
14. Support the Freight directors in implementing PR activity.
15. Deputise for the directors during holidays and other prolonged absences – project managing ongoing client work and managing workflow through the studio.
16. Manage the archiving of sample work.
17. Manage the entry of creative work into awards nationally and internationally.
The position of marketing manager requires the following skills:
• Excellent inter-personal skills including presentation, telephone and negotiation skills
• Self-starting – ability to retain focus while working on one’s own
• Writing abilities, in particular report and tender writing
• Prioritising, planning, recording and reporting
• Computer literacy, in particular the development and maintenance of databases, word processing and production of credentials materials (training available)
• Driving License
• The ability to operate within a team, integrate and participate
• Time flexibility: the flexibility to work unusual hours occasionally, make extended business trips and very occasionally work weekends in the implementation of the business development strategy or in the preparation of pitches
• The ability to work under a degree of pressure from time to time
Salary dependent on experience.
Benefits include contributory pension (after 12 months continuous service), death in service benefit. Free on-site parking available.