K TWO Products is an award winning Edinburgh based stationery and product design company looking for an experienced Design Manager to cover a maternity leave for a minimum period of 9 months.
This is an exciting position where you will be encouraged to use all your design skills as part of a team producing beautiful and innovative products; taking ideas all the way from a roughly sketched concept to a finished printed product. It is a great opportunity for a candidate with excellent graphic design skills and a proven ability to manage a small friendly team.
K TWO Products encourages a team effort where staff are supportive of each other’s roles. It’s an enjoyable and friendly environment to work in. Input into new products and business development is encouraged and everyone in the team is committed to getting good results and taking the business forward.
Product Development -
• Designing and developing new product ideas; bringing innovation and lateral thinking to ensure our products are the best on the market.
• Considering the function, content and materials appropriate for new products.
• Liaise with production dept. to ensure they are supplied with product specifications and ongoing assessing of dummy samples prior to production.
• Designing of product, considering both the 2D graphical and 3D functional aspects of an item.
• Overseeing and implementing our new brand guidelines onto a wide range of products, whilst ensuring the range continues to appeal to our target customers, work as a consistent & cohesive range and have gift appeal.
• Design bespoke products for other brands outwith K TWO.
• Keeping a view of the long-term possibilities for the K TWO brand and ranges.
• Attend management meetings to discuss ongoing and upcoming projects to ensure good prioritising and implementation of projects with available design resource.
• Designing point of sale and exhibition space materials.
Artwork for Production -
• Overseeing and executing the final artwork of products going to print and production.
• Liaising with suppliers (UK and Far East).
Market Research -
• Understanding our target consumers, our competition and the general gifting market.
• Through attending trade shows and regular store research trips, to keep abreast of new trends and competitors (these visits may involve an overnight stay).
Team Management -
• Managing the day-to-day design dept. tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
• Running dept. within tight budgets.
• Checking proofs and production samples before mass production.
• Liaising with suppliers, including photographers, illustrators etc.
• Ensuring good communication within team and with other departments.
• Excellent creative design skills, ideally with experience working on products for the gift market.
• Ability to innovate and conceptualise new product formats, so any 3D or Packaging skills an advantage.
• Experience in motivating and managing a small team.
• Can schedule and delegate tasks to meet (sometimes tight) deadlines.
• Essential ability to work within a set department budget.
• Friendly, approachable and calm under pressure.
• Essential that candidate is proficient in Adobe Creative Suite with a general working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Photographic and photo retouching skills an advantage.
• Team player that is prepared to help out and support team whenever necessary.
Further Details -
Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday, 9.30 – 5.30pm
Holiday entitlement: 4 weeks plus 11 public holidays (pro rata).