Location of Post - Edinburgh
We are looking for an experienced professional with honed media, marketing and event communication skills. Registers of Scotland is a government organisation ambitious to deliver excellence and maximise the benefits to Scotland of our expertise and data. Holding Trading Fund status we are business-focused and rely on our income to support our activities. The organisation is in a period of substantial change – poised to take on the opportunities that the next few years will offer us. This new post is vital to delivering our business ambitions and offers candidates an excellent career opportunity to get a broad range of experience across the communications mix.
Nature of Post
Reporting to the Head of Communications, you will take the lead management role in communications with RoS’ customers as well as having lead responsibility for media, marketing and event functions.
You will be expected to play an active part in the strategic planning and tactical delivery of these functions, as well as having budgetary responsibility.
Specific responsibility rests with this post for devising and delivering best value promotional campaigns that deliver measurable benefits for the business. Within your immediate team, you will have media, marketing and event experience and skills to draw on from which you will deliver the ambitions of the RoS Communications Strategy.
There is another SEO post in the team with responsibility for corporate communication functions. There will be considerable joint working between these posts and their teams, including providing cover as required. Success in this post will be dependent on working together effectively.
Purpose of the Job
To deliver key elements of RoS’ Communications Strategy.
• Develop and manage a proactive and reactive media delivery plan.
• Build successful relations with key journalists and broadcasters.
• Provide professional communications and media relations support to the Executive Management Team, the RoS Board and Ministers.
• Work with the Commercial Services team to develop and manage an effective marketing plan.
• Devise and deliver effective campaigns that deliver measurable business benefits and enhance RoS’ corporate reputation.
• Work with Directorates across RoS to develop and manage an effective events plan.
• Ensure RoS’ communications are clear, persuasive and accessible.
• Manage, support and develop the Marketing and Events Manager, and the Media Manager and Editor posts.
• Compile effective business cases to support the communications. functions.
• Engage and manage external contractors when required.
• Manage the RoS brand and maintain standards on content, presentation, audience and language on all communications with customers.
• Identify and agree budgets and thereafter manage within budgetary limits.
• Keep abreast of political and technical developments and maintain skill levels.
• Substitute for the Head of Communications and the Corporate Communications Manager when necessary.
To do this job you will need
• To be educated to degree level and /or have experience and a proven track record within a communications environment.
• Experience of managing a broad range of media, marketing and events activities.
First-class oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• A proven track record of managing and delivering external communications.
• Excellent influencing and relationship-building skills.
• Initiative, resilience and enthusiasm, with the confidence to set targets and deliver.
• Stakeholder management skills and experience.
• Excellent organisational skills and the ability to deliver high quality customer communication outputs to tight deadlines.
• Experience of working in Government communications
• Experience of appointing and managing external contracts with communication providers.
• Experience of delivering communications across multiple channels.
• Brand development and management experience.
• Budgetary management and bid experience.
Please note that some travel may be required for this post.